Monday, January 26, 2009

fire and rum

At a school assembly last Friday, Dylan's class, the Year 2 Pearlberries, presented what they have been learning about the Great Fire of London. Here's a clip.


Dylan is the boy in the middle, in the plain white shirt. You first see him holding up a poster and then he recites two lines. In case you can't hear it clearly, this is what he says:

Dylan: "But surely you could have dialed 999 and called the fire engines to put the fire out!"

Classmate: "No, we didn't have fire engines at the time. We used leather buckets and squirts to try and put the fire out but it was really no use. The fire was too strong!"

Dylan: "The information text we read told us that people pulled the houses down with fire hooks and blew houses up to make fire breaks to try and stop the fire from spreading farther."

Another classmate then mentions the Great Fire of Meireki, which killed 100,000 people and destroyed much of Tokyo (then Edo) 9 years earlier, in 1657.

After the history lesson, a song and dance number! Again, Dylan is the guy in the middle, plain white shirt. Lyrics posted below.




Pirate Song

When I was one, I sucked my thumb, the day I went to sea
I climbed aboard a pirate ship and the Captain said to me
'we're going this way, that way, forward, back, over the Irish sea
A bottle of rum to fill my tum, and that's the life for me

When I was two, I lost my shoe...

When I was three, I climbed a tree...

When I was four, I shut the door...

When I was five, I learned to dive...

When I was six, I met some chicks...

No comments: