Monday, January 18, 2010

how to avoid a stern reprimand from Mom


I asked my friend Mizuho to explain this cartoon to me, an advert for Pasmo, maker of smart cards that pay for things like metro and bus fare and vending machine drinks. I've used mine to buy printer paper at the stationery shop, lollipops at the AM/PM convenient store, and to pay the 150-yen admission fee at a small Japanese garden near Tokyo Bay (Kyu-Shiba-rikyu, a pretty little place not too far from the better-known Hama-rikyu gardens). It seems Pasmo card readers are popping up everywhere. Anyway...

I can't recall Mizuho's translation verbatim, but here's the gist:

1. Bye now...Thanks for lunch...
2. Wait! Come back! You forgot your Pasmo card!
3. Oh dear. You needn't have bothered... I could just buy another one...
4. Whaaaat? You can't just keep buying Pasmo cards. They're plastic! You're destroying the environment! And look, now you've offended the cat.

No comments: