Saturday, January 5, 2008

movies

On the plane trip to Tokyo last week I watched four movies: Stardust (which is terrific, especially Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil witch) No Reservations (with C Z-Jones, acceptable if only as a way to kill time), Ratatouille (not Pixar's best but still great) and, unfortunately, Evening, a chick-flick in the worst sense, an "exploration of the heart" (cue to roll eyes) that asks the question, In love, is there such a thing as a mistake? blahdee blah blah. It is truly awful. Hugh Dancy was great in HBO's miniseries about Queen Elizabeth I (Helen Mirren! Jeremy Irons!) but he cries too much in this. A real shame. And unfortunately now I cannot stand Claire Danes. She plays the fallen star in Stardust, and I didn't mind her when I was watching that, despite her ridiculous British accent, but Evening, in which she plays Vanessa Redgrave (!?!) as a young woman, has turned me against her. See Rotten Tomatoes' roundup of bad reviews, which pretty much say it all:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/evening/

No comments: